Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Rainy nights and imaginary friends


Photo by Monica. Artwork by Maria@assholeartists.com

Despite a slightly tough few days (after my fun fun weekend had ended and real life started) I'm feeling a bit more upbeat about things over here. I've started a job today, working three hours a day in a little restaurant near my house. It does give me a bit of routine as well as much-needed CASH! Despite not wanting to go back to the "catering business" after years of breaking my back serving people food I want to eat and drinks I want to drink, the opportunity arose through a friend and it would've been foolish not to take it. You know the drill, if you've worked as a waitress once you can do it twice, thrice or thousandice. I guess I do have a manual skill I can use anywhere in the world! Drab.

I'm still getting used to my new home, which is probably not home yet but will be as soon as I know whether I get to stay here or not. My sleeping arrangements are thus: Two big square cushions on the floor, covered with a tie-dye sarong, fold out to a bed where my feet stick out when I go to sleep but don't in the morning, since said cushions have been slowly sliding apart throughout the night so that my bum fits nicely in the gap between them. On the upside, I've got a walk-in wardrobe. Or as other people might wanna call it, a toilet with an "Out of Service" sign on the door with all my clothes still in the bags where I packed them (albeit a lot messier). These are not reasons to complain though. Monica and her housemates have been kind enough to let me stay here and have made me feel right at home, include me in their communal meals and ask me how my day was. I couldn't ask for more (ok, maybe if they didn't ask for so many cigarettes... )

The other thing about "my room" is that it's always night-time and it's always raining. I explain: Since the living room sits on what used to be the social centre which sits on what used to be a hairdressers, there are metal shutters that are always closed so that our lives are not in the open to random passers-by. This means lamps and halogen lights all day. And when it's silent, you can hear the water from the whole building trickle down the pipes and there you have it: rainy night! All I wanna do is stay in bed, eat, watch TV and smoke cigarettes...

Something else I like to do on a rainy night is waste as much time as possible on the internet. It usually goes like this: check Myspace, check Facebook, check Gmail, check Flickr, check Hotmail, check Google Analytics, check Girlcore, check Myspace again in case I got a new message, check the blog in case someone finally decided to leave a comment, check Facebook in case there are new tagged photos and so on and so forth.
While I sit in front of my laptop with my headphones on every waking hour, my housemates spend their spare time smoking dope, playing guitar, cooking, cleaning, listening to reggae and debating philosophy in italian, among other higher purposes. I do interact from time to time, but it still seems as if my life is on the other side of this screen. When I stop posting a daily bulletin about nothing, commenting photos of people I've never met or writing about my personal life for invisible readers, don't worry. It will mean I finally have a life!

PS. I think this is the first time in a very long time that I stay in for that many days. I haven't had a proper night out since... well, does my weekend with the broken neck count? The good thing about this is that I finally went through my flickr account and sorted it out. So now i'ts www.flickr.com/photos/brixtonia/sets... the "people etc" set is particularly nostalgic.

Coming up next time... The Mayan Prophecies.

2 comments:

Jorge Romero-Habeych said...

your bed has a very nice pattern!
I always smile when I think of the places I've slept in.

CUESTAS said...

TE AMO!!!!!!!!ESTA MUY BUENO TU BLOG!!!!!!VENTE YA! VEAMONOS YA