Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's a Rant. With capital R.

Me having an ugly day. But hey.
(photo by www.icanteachyouhowtodoit.com)


I just realized. I actually won't be living in London for at least two years, or ever. Had you thought about that? Cos I'm only just coming round to the thought. It's weird, isn't it?
Up until about a week ago, my body was here, in Spain, but my mind was somewhere else. Definitely not here. I think it was half in London, in the life I forcedly left there, and half in all the lingering thoughts I had about my future. But now it's starting to seem more of a fact that my life will have to be made in Barcelona, Spain, for the next few years. Bizarre. Things can change in a second, without you making any plans, and suddenly you have to change your whole life plan (I don't think I actually had a life plan but if I did it was certainly not like this).

So here I am. Now let's put ourselves in two little situations:
One. Imagine you get a phonecall, telling you you'll be the singer in a band and you're going on tour with them really soon, to an amazing place you never thought you'd go to before you were rich. All expenses paid. And you get to fulfill a long-life dream (let's not kid ourselves, who wouldn't love to be a rockstar?). Then it all goes to shit, just because you come from a country that needs a visa even to go to the corner shop.
Two. You're blind. You come from Belarus. You had to leave your country because you're a buddhist, and despite it supposedly being a democracy, you're persecuted because of your beliefs. So now you're in Spain, as a political refugee, and you have to get a permit that allows you to go see your mother in Russia because your dad died two months ago. If you don't get that permit, you can't leave the country, or return.

These are both true stories. Isn't it all a bit messed up? This coming from the point of view of The Immigrant. The one who has to go through a whole load of shit just because he or she thought it might be a good idea to try things out in a different country. If you're European or even American you might not always think about these things. You know, same when you sometimes think what's the use of learning another language if everyone speaks English. But these things happen, and they sometimes bug us.

But I don't wanna be a preacher. It's almost seven in the morning and I just came back from watching Princess Superstar being a bit of a disappointment, and these words are almost typing themselves... I promise the next entry will have a bit more details about what I've been up to over here and all these amazing people I've met and these fun fun parties I've been to and all that jazz. But for now, I think I'm going to bed!!

No comments: